1. Whole grains, protein, and healthy fats are a great way to get the day started. The fiber and fat help keep you full longer.
2. Chia is one of the best sources of non-animal protein and packs about five grams of protein per two tbsp serving, as well as omega-3 fatty acids, which reduce inflammation.
3. Cinnamon is an anti-inflammatory and an antioxidant ingredient.
4. Provides a full serving of greens at breakfast!
5. Everyone knows that calcium is really important for bone health, but so is magnesium. Insufficient magnesium can also cause muscle cramping, which we want to avoid to maintain peak performance. Cashews are a great source of magnesium for bone health and mineral balance.
Plus, it is easy to take on the go!
1 cup flax milk (any non-dairy milk is fine, but avoid anything with added sugar)
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp raw cashew butter (can substitute nut butter of your choice)
2 handfuls spinach
1/2 ripe frozen banana
In a mason jar, put 1/2-2/3 cup rolled oats and 2 tbsp chia seeds, pour smoothie into the jar and mix around to distribute the chia seeds and oats evenly. Put in the fridge and enjoy in the morning!
This recipe is is inspired by one of Lauren's favorite food blogs, Oh She Glows. Check it out for more creative, nutritious recipes!